Outing Sponsor Resources

Sponsor Information. Read First. Sponsoring an Outing

Sample or Template bulletin and permission slip, in Word format. Example Bulletin

Look under Categories, Monthly Outings for more bulletins. You may find one for the outing you’re sponsoring!   Or use the search to find the bulletin if you know the outing’s title, or a word in the outing’s title.  For example a search for parson will show previous bulletins for camp parsons in Monthly Outings and elsewhere.  Older permission forms will not ask about training.  Youth Protection Training (YPT) information is needed for the Scout Tour Permit and troop policy requires it for all drivers and adults on an outing.

First, you will need to read the Guide to Safe Scouting. Then check your YPT status online, and either take or retake the course online. If you don’t already have an account, create one and log in to my.scouting.org. From the menu at the upper left hand side of the webpage, select “My Dashboard”. By default, you will be at the YPT tab where you can check your YTP Status, “Take Course” or “Retake Course” if your certificate will expire by the time of the outing.

Budget and Expense spreadsheet. Troop-Budget-Expense.xls

If you don’t have Microsoft Word, you can get Open Office for free. It will work with MS Office documents and spreadsheets.

A Generic Permission Form.pdf

District Local Tour Permit, fillable PDF Local Tour Permit.

You need to bring this to the Troop meeting the Monday before the outing as it needs the signature of the “Tour Leader” and “Unit of member committee” – this can be any member of the Troop Committee.  The sponsor is the “Tour Leader”. For the “Assistant tour leader”, select either the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster- if one is going on the outing – or any another adult- this does not have to be a Scoutmaster or Assistant. If you are not going on the outing, you’ll need to speak with an adult who is going about being the “Tour Leader”.

Aurora District CAMPOREE

Download free topological maps from USGS.

Some outings, such as canoe outings, require adults and scouts to have completed Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense.  Certifications last 2 years so save your original.  Please study the following information at Boy Scouts of America > Scouting Safely > Guide to Safe Scouting > Aquatics Safety. Then if you don’t already have an account, create one and log in to my.scouting.org. From the menu select “My Dashboard”. Then, click on the “Training Center Tab”. Once there, click on the arrow to the right of “Boy Scouting and Varsity”. Finally, click on “Take Course” for both “Safe Swim Defense” and for “Safety Afloat”. Please note: These take a considerable amount of time. Please plan accordingly.


Here are several spread sheets useful in planning the long term outings.  Be sure to look under Catagories, Long Term Outings for a bulletin you can use as a template.

Gantt-Chart-for-50-Miler.xls Includes Menu, Roster, Menus and shopping list, gantt chart in worksheet tabs.

50-miler-backpack.xls Includes duty roster, menus and shopping list, gantt chart in worksheet tabs.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.